Saturday 2 March 2013

Austerity or Stimulus... Turning Left Or Right

Whilst the world continues to debate between austerity and stimulus I sometimes think it would be better to debate whether it is better for a driver to turn left or right?

I guess for many that depends on where on the road the car actually is? For those people that lead extraordinary lives as a result of fighting cancer or a terminal illness, these debates are perhaps foolish at a time when time is better spent keeping their families together that little bit longer. 

Thanks to your continued support I have raised and received pledges totalling £63,000 to-date, monies that will help fund a young oncology unit, a new imaging centre, a cancer research and treatment suite and help fund children with life limiting and life threatening conditions and their families, providing the best quality care and support.


 
 
With only six months to go before a I swim the English Channel on behalf of those fighting cancer and those children living with life limiting and life threatening conditions, I need your support now more than ever.

I would like to enter the English Channel on the 28th August knowing that I have raised £100,000 for my five nominated charities, Together for Short Lives, Weston Park Hospital, The Clatterbridge, The Royal Marsden and The Christie.

Wouldn't it be money well spent if we could help keep families together that little bit longer therefore if you could please help me in some small way to support other ordinary people and their families that would be great. 

Please visit my donation page before I swim or email peterjamesgreen@gmail.com to make your pledge.

Thanking you in advance of your support



Meanwhile, for those seeking an update on what's been happening with my swimming over the winter months and wondering why I have not updated my blog more recently....

This winter has been a real mixture of emotions as reality dawned that this is to be the year I am to attempt the most iconic swim in the world, the 21 mile stretch of water between England and France known as the English Channel. Three years passes so quickly..!!!

During the winter months I have opted to spend time in the pool as opposed to time spent in the Channel in order to work on improving my stroke efficiency and build my stamina.

I run ever other day along the White Cliffs via the Front line Britain trail looking across to the shores of France, mentally preparing and visualising my successful swim.

I shall return to the sea this month to re acclimatise and wean myself away from the pool.

One thing Dover can be proud of is the quality of its pool and the exceptional standard of its swim club www.doverlifeguard.co.uk.

I continue to spend many hours in the pool completing 1 - 2 hr sprint training programmes set by my coach Tanya Harding and be inspired by the dedication of the clubs swimmers. Observing their techniques has without question helped me to become a stronger swimmer.

At the pool I have also meet some of the iconic English Channel open water swimmers and athletes associated to the local tri-club www.dealtri.co.uk.

A dual-athlete or triathlete has often pushed me through the final desperate sets of my sprint programmes.

Special mention must also go to Howard Keech, one of the world's premier channel swimmers, whom I often find myself swimming with...well in his lane! 

If you want to know how to swim using your legs not your arms, go and watch Howard..sheer power! Best of luck with the shark infested swim in South Africa later this year and your wedding.. I can't remember what's first or what you want to do first?  
 
Over the past few months I have paid my pilot fees for my swim to secure my boat for the crossing.

Before the end of April I am also required to undertake a medical to evidence that I am fit and ready to swim.

The realities of swimming the Channel also mean that I have had to put my affairs in order in the event of my death during the swim.

I have prepared my wills and ensured that my life insurances are up to date whilst putting my business interests in order. Something that my partner has not liked but it's the harsh realities of attempting such a swim I'm afraid.

And finally, I turned 45, stopped drinking from the 28th of last month following a visit to the famous Channel Swimmers pub, the White Horse in Dover to find space of history...I won't now touch another drop until I swim ashore in France!




















Thus, as a result of all this and running my businesses I have simply been unable to find the time to update my blog.  

I will post again soon...I promise

Peter 
   

   

No comments: